"Evaluating for 2014-2020:
Evidences and Experiences
26-27 April, 2012 in Bucharest, Hotel Intercontinental, Ronda Room
The conference is organised within the project "Development of the evaluation capacity for the evaluation units within the Managing Authorities and the Authority for the Coordination of Structural Instruments" that is currently being implemented by the Ministry of European Affairs in Romania.
The target group consists of officials and experts commissioning and performing ex-ante evaluations of future programmes. Programmers interested in making effective use of evaluation evidences and programme managers preoccupied by an efficient co-operation with evaluators during implementation, are also invited. The target group includes also evaluation professionals and academics interested in the conference topics and non-governmental organizations still having an unexploited potential in evaluation partnerships.
The conference aims at providing a platform for participants to share their experiences gained in evaluation Structural Instruments in terms of lessons learned and results achieved but also encountered difficulties and limitations.
The program includes 3 plenary sessions and 3 sessions each of 3 parallel workshops covering a diversity of topics. All workshops are intended to identify the way in which evaluation evidences could contribute to the ex-ante evaluation of future programmes and to an improvement of their design and implementation, in relation to Europe 2020 Strategy's aim for smart, sustainable and inclusive growth. Each workshop will benefit by the presence of several well-reputed speakers who will deliver their presentations with a focus on gathered evaluation evidences and experiences of carried out evaluations. Translation from/into Romanian- English-French will be ensured.
The final programme of the conference (bilingual RO-EN) and topics to be presented can be consulted here.
Please fill in the registration form by April 20th, 2012. REGISTRATION IS CLOSED.
Contact person: Ioana STAN, tel. +40 751 299 928, e-mail:
The presentations held during the conference can be downloaded here:
Day 1: 26th April 2012
- Plenary opening session
- Parallel workshops: Session I: Evaluating the strategic contribution
- Workshop I.1: Impacts of interventions on competitiveness and smart growth
- Regional Operational Programme- instrument to increasing business competitiveness in Romanian regions (EN), Pompilia IDU, Managing Authority for the Regional Operational Programme;
- Regional Operational Programme- instrument to increasing business competitiveness at regional level (EN), Dr. Victor PLATON, Institute for National Economy;
- Impact evaluation using experimental and quasi-experimental setups: examples from education, social cohesion and innovation policy (EN), Marc vand der STEEG, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis;
- Helping enterprises grow- evidences from evaluations (EN), Attila BÉRES, National Development Agency, Hungary.
- Workshop I.2: Impacts of interventions on sustainable growth and infrastructure
- Workshop I.3: Impacts of interventions on inclusive growth and lifelong learning
- Parallel workshop: Session II: Evaluating the programme context
- Workshop II.1: Evaluating the policy and institutional context: ex ante conditionalities and the performance framework
- Assessing the institutional policy framework and public sector organizations. The World Bank Functional Reviews in Romania.(EN), Ana Otilia NUŢU, ExpertForum, România;
- Excessive Deficit Procedure: Question marks and problems (EN), Laszlo ARVA, Professor Ecole Superieure des Sciences Commerciales D'Angers ESSCA, Faculty of Budapest, Hungary;
- Public health reform in Romani (RO), Cristian VLĂDESCU, National School for Public Health and Management, România;
- Social risks and inequities in Romania (EN), Marian PREDA, University of Bucharest, Faculty of Sociology and Social Assistance, România;
- Workshop II.2: Evaluating general principles: sustainable development, promotion of equality between men and women and non-discrimination.
- Workshop II.3: Evaluability and measurability: data and indicators of the programme and at strategic level, surveys and communication
- Data, indicators and targets in support of Italian cohesion policy (EN), Tito BIANCHI, Ministerio dello Sviluppo Economico, Italy;
- Evidence-based cohesion policy: the use of indicators. Romanian experience (RO), Angelica VLĂDESCU, Authority for Coordination of Structural Instruments, România;
- Monitoring and evaluating future cohesion policy (EN), Ines HARTWIG, DG Employment, European Commission;
- Evaluability: A wider perspective and key aspects (EN), Vladimir KVACA, Czech Evaluation Society and Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs- ESF Department, Czech Republic.
Day 2: 27th April 2012
- Parallel workshops : Session III: Implementation evaluation
- Workshop III.1: Evaluating implementation costs and capacities
- Workshop III.2: Evaluating and planning the time path of commitments, payments
- Payment forecast model - the Hungarian experience (EN), Balázs PICHLER, National Development Agency, Hungary;
- Applicability of econometric modeling for analyzing structural funds absorption in Romania (EN), Oana GHERGHINESCU, University of Craiova, România;
- LOTHAR şi LOTHAR+. The experience and the way ahead for financial forecasting tools (EN), Daniel NIGOHOSYAN, Ecorys România, Bulgaria;
- Forecasting absorption of Structural Instruments with the use of quantitative and qualitative methods (EN), Tom FARRANT, Ernst&Young Franţa.
- Workshop III.3: Evidences on the administrative burden
- Administrative burden in programmes financed by the Euiropean Social Fund. Comparative analysis. (EN), Máté VINCZE, GHK Consulting Ltd., Belgium;
- Assessing administrative burden and costs in Cohesion Policy: approaches and methods (EN), Alessandro VALENZA, T33, Italy;
- Revision of the monitoring and evaluation system in the case of the Hungarian RDP, (EN), Timea SZERVÁNSZKY-KALAKÁN, Ministry of Rural Development, Hungary.
- Assessing the administrative burden (EN), Mamas KOUTSOYIANNIS, Baker Tilly Klitou, România.